Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Repairing the four blocks

Out of the thirty blocks in the damaged quilt top, four of them needed reconstruction work. Just like the Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt I blogged about.... I made templates with a double thickness of freezer paper and found reasonable matches for calico fabric in my stash. I wasn't going for exact matches because I love the scrappy look. After I repaired the four blocks, I squared them up, which is a misnomer because these "squares" are actually rectangles measuring 12" x 11".

Monday, May 2, 2011

Quilt Top met with unfortunate accident

I bought this quilt top at an estate sale for two dollars. It originally had 30 squares, four however had big holes. Each of the four corners were shredded. It looked like it got stuck in something and someone pulled it free. I am going to try to make another quilt out of it using the calico's that KK gave me for Christmas. So far, using the seam ripper I have salvaged all the squares including the four that have the holes I left extra fabric around the squares that need repair to reduce wear and tear on them. I will make templates for the missing pieces, square up the squares and put them back together. Maybe someday I will finish it enough to post it again.